Sunday, October 16, 2016

Waving the White Flag


Alas, After countless hours, many attempts, and several hundred dollars, I have "waved the white flag" on the Triumph Trophy. Even with my father's capable help, we have been unable to resolve the electrical issues. In fact, not only has the bike reverted to it's original problem of engine kills when a gear is engaged, but now the headlight won't come on, the rear brake won't illuminate, and the left front fork leaks when compressed.

Time to wash my hands, acknowledge defeat.
I put the bike up for sale Friday night, with the intent of just getting my money back out of it, plus a little extra for my (foiled) efforts. The bike immediately got hits, and by Saturday afternoon, was sold, for my asking price. I've never had a motorcycle sell so quickly.
In so many ways, the transaction was "a God thing". The buyer, Robert, was from one town over in Lawrenceville, about 9 miles away. He was a large man, about 6'2", perfect size for such a tall and heavy motorcycle. He has extensive experience with electrical issues in automobiles, so he felt confident eh could chase down the problems. When I told him about the fork seal, he replied, "I'm helping a friend rebuild the front forks on his Harley, so I'm ok with this." To top it all off, he told me he was a Christ-follower, after I told him I helped pastor a small church part-time. So I'm very happy the bike went to someone who will more likely be able to fix the issues, and we share a common faith.
I trailered the bike back to his house for him, and after off-loading it, told him, "When you get her running, give me a call, and we'll take our Triumphs for a ride."
This was my first "fail" at fixing and flipping a motorcycle, but I take consolation in the knowledge that I got my money back, the bike is in very capable hands, and I made a new friend.
A pretty good return.

No comments: